Sunday, 11 September 2016

Freshers University Advice


Over the next few weeks I'm sure many of you will be starting the next chapter of your lives; university. Heading to university is an exciting time - full of independence and opportunities - but it can also be a daunting time for many freshers. Next week I will be going back to university for my second year and I feel like I've learnt a thing or two along the way to share with you so you can make the most of first year.

Making friends:
Getting to university and not knowing anyone can be really nerve-racking, particularly if you're shy or quiet. I was lucky that my flat were a friendly bunch and on the first night we all sat together in the corridor and got to know each other better whilst playing a few drinking games. If you usually struggle to start a conversation with someone, freshers is a great time to put that behind you because there are so many questions you can ask people, such as; Where are you from? What are you studying? Was this uni your first choice? Another great way to make friends is by joining clubs and societies. This gives you the opportunity to get to know people outside of your flat and on different courses, as well as second and third year students.

Managing your money:
During freshers week, it's tempting to spend a large proportion of your money on going out and not think about how long your money's got to last you. There are certain things you can do to save money without compromising on the nights out, for example; some clubs offer discounted entrance fees if you arrive there before a certain time so you could aim to get there before this time, also, instead of buying a takeaway after each night out (cheesy chips and Dominos add up to a lot throughout the year!), you could keep some snacks in your room to have when you get back to your accommodation. Working out how much money you'll have going in and out of your bank account is really useful to make sure you don't overspend - you could add up how much you have to pay for accommodation each month or term plus how much you'll roughly be spending on food and other essentials and the rest can be used for nights out and treating yourself! Also, writing a shopping list before you go shopping stops you from picking up items that you don't need.

Staying healthy:
It's difficult when you haven't got your parents around to cook you nice meals and check that you're eating your 5-a-day! Buying a recipe book aimed at students is a good place to start because the recipes are usually easier and less time consuming than other recipe books. Also, making your own food normally works out cheaper (and healthier!) than ordering a takeaway. If you struggle to include fruit in your diet, then you could make a smoothie using lots of different fruits, or you could add chopped up fruits to your cereal. Exercise usually takes a backseat at uni because you're too tired/busy, however, there are plenty of workout routines available on Youtube so you don't even have to leave your room! Joining a sports club is a great way to exercise because you can go with your friends and motivate each other.

Keeping up with work:
With so many exciting events and opportunities happening at uni, it's easy to forget that you're actually there to study! Creating a timetable for completing quizzes, reading books, doing revision, etc is a good idea to show you when you'll be able to fit in uni work around your other activities, but make sure you stick to it. Don't rush your work because this won't help you remember it when it comes to exams and don't leave group work for someone else to do - because they might be doing the same thing!

One final note, make the most of freshers and have an amazing time! If any current uni students or graduates have advice for freshers then feel free to comment below.

30 comments:

  1. These are such valuable and useful tips, thanks for sharing them xx

    mylifeasmarinaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good tips! They would definitely be helpfull if I was still a freshman :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. To this day I'll never know how I managed to live off so little money at uni! I guess everyone's in a similar boat though so you just do cheaper activities :) I totally agree about making friends - especially outside of your flat because in first year I ended up way to wrapped up in my housemates that I didn't make many friends on my course!

    Jasmine xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that too in my first term of uni so in my second term I made more of an effort to go to socials and meet new people! x

      Delete
  4. Great tips for freshers.
    Nina
    http://www.ninasstyleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never went to uni and don't know if I'd be able to follow this haha! I always kind of wished I had of gone haha. Great post, maybe I should apply to my normal life haha!

    Kassie www.styledevoured.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be really difficult to budget at uni! Haha yeah it could be applied to normal life too! x

      Delete
  6. Great tips! Managing money is such a huge one I got so bad in debt and had to do spending bans after Freshers!

    Abigail Alice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh no, at least you managed to do spending bans - I always find it so difficult to stick to them! x

      Delete
  7. loving all your tips, I was a fresher at 17 and was hopeless at looking after myself (Even though I would say I could) but I am a fresher again now at 25, and its so hard! Making friends has been both hard and so so worth it!


    Erin || MakeErinOver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating healthy is what I find hardest because it's so tempting to pick up easy meals which usually aren't the healthiest! x

      Delete
  8. I made my return to university, and your advice will helped me for the year ! Thanks :D

    Barbara from www.barbarabonline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) Enjoy your time at uni! x

      Delete
  9. Your blog is gorgeous!! Ive just started a blog and would love it if you checked it out!

    Thankyou, happy blogging !! xx

    coffeeandcoatsblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Mananging your money" yep, that's def the best advice because you tend to go YOLO in uni

    xx

    www.caetera-moda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to get carried away whilst you're at uni haha! x

      Delete
  11. Amazing advice! I think this will definitely help a lot of students :)

    www.beautiliciousd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is all pretty handy advice - although I have to say, I actually found it easier to eat healthily when I was at uni, as I could control what I was eating a little better, and didn't have all those delicious snacks to pick at (even when I wasn't hungry...!).

    francesca | francescasophia.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point! There's always biscuits and chocolate available when I'm at home but I tend not to buy them at uni x

      Delete
  13. Such a great tips.
    Good vibes, FOX
    check out my blog www.rochellefox.com.au and my latest VLOG

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post girl - some fab tips! I 100000% agree with the making friends advice, I moved away to uni and didn't know anyone (as most of us do) so I think it's just so important to throw yourself in and really get involved and get to know people, those first few weeks are crucial! Also, managing your money is another reallyyyyyy important piece of advice, I got SO excited when my student loan came through - spent loads then had to work two jobs for ages... OOPS!

    Hayley xo
    www.frockmeimfamous.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah it's easy to go over the top when you get your student loan through! x

      Delete
  15. Ahh I wish I went to uni, these tips are still handy though! xx

    LAURA ­| Laura Thinks About

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think most of these tips can be applied to life in general! x

      Delete